Your hideaway in surprising Amsterdam
We had a fantastic stay at Above Water! Dirk was the perfect host from start to finish - he had so many recommendations and the breakfast was 10/10. The apartment is great - very comfortable and cosy and it was nice to see ducks out of the window. Thanks so much Dirk - we'll be back for a longer stay!
Uk, Brighton, Geoff & Alison
We loved our stay at Above Water. Dirk's hospitality is great! Grazie Dirk per questo bellissimo soggiorno!
Italy, Val di Susa, Davida and Francesca
Hi Dirk! Thank you for everything! It was a beautiful stay and we loved the wonderful breakfast! Thanks.
France, Frejus, Charlotte & Giudice
Dear Dirk, We inmediately felt at home at your studio and it was great talking to you, so we had a good idea where to go by bike. Amsterdam is a facinating city and we really enjoyed our stay. After a long day with wind and a bit of rain it was nice to come back in this warm and cozy place. Thank you for your hospitality.
Germany, Hameln, Kai and Sylvia
We had the best weekend staying here! We liked the location of this studio and the friendly locals/neighbourhood. Hiring bikes was great way to see more of Amsterdam and get around quick. Dirk was realy welcoming when we arrived, showed us the studio and gave great sugestions on places to visit! Thank you for supplying us with delicious food and letting us stay in this really cool cabin! I had the best night sleep!
Uk, London. Remi & Olivia
Dear Dirk, We realy enjoyed our stay at your comfortable studio. Thank you for the waffles and the juice;-)
Germany, Hamburg, Noah + Auyu
Our four days in Amsterdam were made more special bij the hospitality and advice of Dirk. He never let us astray. We hired a car ant got out of the city to visit some wonderful beaches as advised by Dirk and then took the bike hire option for a further two days. We explored the city and countryside of Amsterdam. Our breakfast each day was amazing as was the apartment. We loved our stay, will gladly recommend it to others & hopefully will return in the future. Best wishes,
Ireland, Mary & Jennifer
On this honeymoon, we had the opportunity to have Dirk as a host and Above Water as a home. Dirk is really attentive and careful, willing to give every little detail about Amsterdam. We enjoyed some local experiences and were surprised bij the delicious bar in the park and variety of options in the Javastraat. The attention to details at Above Water made us feel like home with privacy and peace. Thank you Dirk for everything.
Brasil, Belo Horizonte, Débora and Marco
Dear Dirk, Thank you so much for your kindness, generous hospitality and execelent advise on all things in Amsterdam (and beyond!). We loved meeting you and your lovely family and we look forward to staying in touch - see you again soon. Take care!
Canada, Toronto, Ben & Mariya
Dear Dirk, Thanks a lot! For the communication, for being so welcoming and accomodating. For the lovely breakfasts, for the impeccably clean living spaces, recommendations and smiles. You truly made a big difference to our stay in Amsterdam. Never stop your small acts of kindness!
Switserland/Germany, Basel/Hamburg, Juliane & Harold
* Dear Dirk, thank you for making our 5 day trip in Amsterdam more pleasant than we expected it to be. Coming to Above water was one of the best choices we made, it was cosy, chill and soooo nice. It was a pleasure meeting you and your family. We will come back and try every single one of the addresses on your list ;-) As for Amsterdam, we absolutely loved it. Being able to visit it by bike was so great! Such a peaceful place...We can't wait to come back to Above Water.
Reunion Island, Muriel & Anthoni
* Dirk & family, thank you for a lovely stay in your studio, a very comfortable and safe area to stay. I loved the quirky homely feel. Loved the bikes and finding my way around Amsterdam at the local speed of very fast. Sue and I loved rowing here and sharing our love of Venetian rowing with the family. Delicious eggs, and I loved the fresh croissant too! Best wishes.
United Kingdom, Oxford, Pauline & Sue
* Our experience at Above Water was amazing. Dirk makes sure you feel comfortable and all your needs are met. He gave us great information and good tips on places to visit and things to try. Our favorite being was city beach Roest. This place is a must and we enjoyed taking a dip in the canal. We are very sad to be leaving this lovely little gem of a place but hope to come back again so day! Thank you Dirk and family for making us feel so welcome.
United Kingdom, Stacy & Jade
* We loved our stay at Above water, Dirk's hospitality was great, the breakfast was lovely and the room was clean and comfortable. The location is great, a nice quiet area but with easy access to the center of the city. We explored most of the city by foot and enjoyed seeing the parks and markets. Overall, we loved our stay and would definitely recommend Above water!
United Kingdom, Jess & Sophie
* This was our first trip to Amsterdam and Dirk's hospitality made it all so comfortable. As many have sad, the the location is central to all experiences here. The bikes were essential to us. Breakfast was a treat, the weather spectacular and the comfort here just wonderful. So may thanks Dirk.
USA, Vermont, Susyn & Dennis
* Loved the apartment and the area. Thanks for the recommendations. We had so many excellent experiences in and outside the city. So long and thanks.
United Kingdom, London, Tom and Alice
* We had a amazing few days in Amsterdam roaming around the city. We especially liked the area around Above Water. No tourists, good local restaurants and bars around. And from here good connections to the center or anywhere in city with public transport. Dirk was very helpful and his breakfast is great. We had a blast in Amsterdam and we'll be back for sure. Thank you.
Finland, Tomi & Julia
* You've been the most welcoming host we've met on this trip - we had a wonderful stay here in Amsterdam. Thanks for the recommendations. Above water is a unique way of accommodation in Amsterdam, so nicely furnished and located in such a nice neighborhood. We'll definitely come back soon!
Hong Kong, Adrian & Kevin
* We had the most wonderful stay with Dirk, waking up on the water, baby chicks outside and Dirk's scrambled eggs which are the best. We loved being in this beautiful city with such warm hosts - we'll definitely be back soon! It feels like a home away from home. Thank you!
United Kingdom, Manchester, Alicia & Dean
* Thanks for making us welcome, great place to stay, we definitely will be coming back - much more peaceful than staying in the center. Love the neighborhood and what it has to offer. Your place is fantastic and we had a great relaxing break. Till the next time!
United Kingdom, Birmingham, Ben & Charlotte
* Dear Dirk, We wanted to thank you for making this trip to Amsterdam even more beautiful. We really enjoyed your kindness and your lovely Apartment. Best wishes,
Switzerland, Tara & Manuel
* We had such a amazing time in Amsterdam. Our stay felt too short, there's just too much to do here. But we loved visiting the museums and walking down the canals. Thank you for your hospitality, you made us feel at home and gave great recommendations. We're sad to leave, but already thinking of when to come back.
United Kingdom, London, Kristy & Chad
* Thank you for having us in Above Water. It was so peaceful waking up to the sound of water and ducks. The studio is so nicely decorated, everything worked perfect! Our stay here was definitely one to remember and the city is so peaceful - especially the canal boat trip as the sun is setting! Just like a fairy tail...Thanks again.
Ireland, Galway, Lilly & Evan
* Dirk, Thank you for your fantastic hospitality. You really made our stay one to remember. We can't wait to come back. All the best!
Ireland, Belfast, Niamh & Maeve
* What a peaceful and plesant stay we had at Above Water! Away from the crowded busy center of town. Everything here is tastefully decorated and it's so nice to be waken up by the delicate "kwac-kwac" of our neighbor ducks. Thanks again for making our trip to Amsterdam just ideal!
France, Olivier & Helene
* Een kort en onverwacht genoegelijk verblijf in een rustig plekje, verscholen in een hectische metropool....Fijn geslapen en prima bed. Dank. Dank.
Nederland, Carolien & Chris
* It has been an absolute pleasure to stay with you during my first trip to Amsterdam. Your warm and kind welcoming calmed us and set us up for our holiday. Your holiday home is exceptional and beautiful with the comfiest bed and best shower. I am now purchasing the light up shower head! We will miss your scrambled eggs in the mornings! Thank you so much.
United Kingdom, Oliver & Ashleigh
* We made the right choice to stay at Above water. Dirk, thank you for your wonderful, warm welcome. This truly felt like a home from home (although we don't have a disco shower yet ;-). Breakfast was just perfect, wonderful products and time to enjoy it as you wish. Thank you for adopting to my food allergies. Do listen to to Dirk's recommendations. We would never have found the restaurant Wilde Zwijnen without his suggestion. He perfectly understood what we were looking for. Best concierge in town. Merci, merci, to you and your lovely family.
France, Juliette and Loïc
* We had an amazing 4 nights stay in Amsterdam. We found it a very romantic town with a lot of friendly people. Our stay at Above Water was very pleasant and Dirk gave us some interesting tips. We couldn't take the bikes because of the weather, but we'll definitely coming back in the summertime to see how it is to ride a bike in Holland. I find this apartment very intimate and cozy and it's a big plus the fact that it's not in the crowded center. The lamps are the best lamps in the world.
Romania, Sorina & Gabriel
* We had a wonderful stay in Amsterdam. Dirk greeted us warmly and gave us his tips for amsterdam. For questions we always could reach him. We felt very well here. The accommadation is very lovingly designed - or say in Switserland "harzig". The breakfast is realy wonderful! We can only recommend to rent the bikes, Amsterdam with bikes is really great and brings holiday mood. A drive outside the city we can recommend. Then you see a bit of the country Holland. Thank you Dirk for your great hospitality. We really enjoyed the time. We'll definitely come back here for the next visit to Amsterdam.
Switserland, Laura & Martin
* Thank you so much for making my trip to Amsterdam so amazing. Your enthousiam for life is realy contagious. Your recommendations were spot on and made the most of my short stay in Amsterdam. I will surely recommend your services to all my friends. Again thank you!
USA, New York, Theophilus
* A big
thank you for your welcome, and for your advice Dirk. Very great location, not so far from amsterdam
city center (5-10min by bicycle).
The room is quite comfortable and spacious for two people. Two bicycles are available for rent (essential for amsterdam!). The last day we went to Marken island by bike and it was awesome! Another amsterdam face, a nice countryside to visit. Hosts are very friendly, available and plenty of good advices. A nice place to stay.
France, Toulouse, Jérôme & Julie
* We had an amazing time in Amsterdam and a very relaxing stay at Above Water. Dirk was such a great host and we particulary enjoyed the fresh breakfast every morning. Dirk gave us lots of advice and recommendations for exploring the city. It was a shame that it rained 4 days and that we were here because we would have loved to spent lots of time cycling around the city and the countryside. BUT, we had a fantastic time visiting Banksy, Anne Frank etc. Thanks again Dirk for your hospitallity. I am sure we will be back to visit this great city very soon. All the best.
United Kingdom, Amy & George
* I had a really nice time in Amsterdam and a lot of it thanks to your nice place, far enough from the crowds of the center. I also managed to jump for a day to The Hague. We took a bike and went to the beach like real Dutch. Thanks for all the good food, as my Burmese friend says: "you came thin, and went out as a sumo wrestler" ;-). Hope to come again, thank you.
Israel, Tel Aviv, Erez.
* Thank you Dirk for providing us such a lovely clean and cosy place to stay while visiting our son who lives on the next boat. We loved the local area and city center of Amsterdam. We took a day trip to the Delta Works. It was facinating how the Dutch control the water! We also visited the Zaanse Schans. It was beautiful with the windmills and the whole town smelled like chocolate! Dirk was the best host! He is very friendly and helpful. The scambled eggs for breakfast were fantastic! We hope te be back soon and would like to stay here again.
Enfield USA, John & Nancy
* We had a fantastic long summer stay in Amsterdam! The Studio felt like home, was clean and the bed was great. We liked hopping from the busy city center to the nice and neighbourly "Indische Buurt." Thanks to Dirk we also made some great (bicycle) trips outside Amsterdam. Next year we'll come back for sure! Thank you Dirk and family for the great time and hospitality.
Dortmund Germany, Herman & Brunhilde
* Nice accomodation and superkind host! Thanks for the useful information and your kindness.
2017, Novi Ligure Italy, Paolo & Eleonora
* Thank you for all. This time I discoverd Amsterdam with the bike and I enjoyed it. It's a good bike and a wonderful feeling to find so many places in this city. I always slept well in this bed and in the morning the sun came in and I saw the movements from the water on the ceiling. And than....what will be in the box for breakfast this morning? Every day a bit different, such a lovely idea. I realy enjoyed my time in Amsterdam. I love this city and I will come again. I'll tell my friends about this nice place to live and spend a quiet time. Dirk thank you so much for a fine and perfect stay ! :-)
Vienna Austria, Michaela
* A beautiful city to celebrate my 40th birthday, full of coulors and secrets that we have visited by foor and bycicle. Thanks a lot to Dirk for all and his great breakfast.
Milan Italy, Massimilliano & Valentina
* Had a wonderful stay at Above water, beautiful settings and great hospitality! We loved your recommendations especially Roest! We felt at home here with everything we needed and more. The ducks outside our window were a bonus! Thank you Dirk and family, we couldn't have asked for more. We will recommend to all of our friends.
England, Yasmine & Ian
* What a plesant stay here in Amsterdam! Thank you Dirk for your warm welcome. We were very happy to discover the town and the Amsterdam way of life. Every point of interest is accessible by bike (Dirk's one's are comfortable and look very traditional & funny. Many peacefull parks and walkways......many nice places. Dirk knows many tips and don't hesitate to ask him. Thanks for all!
2017, Rennes France, Nicolas & Fanny
* We loved our stay at Above Water and looking the ducks. Dirk is a fantastic owner. Dirk's advices are helpful and we felt at home in Amsterdam. The bikes made us enjoy Amsterdam even more. Thank you for all Dirk, see you next time!
June 2017, Florence Italy, Valentina & Laurent
* We had a lovely stay at Above Water. The room was better than described on the website. Very clean and quaint. Some very unique furniture too. The bed was comfortable and there was everything we needed for our stay. We came through a bit of a warm spell for this time of year. When asked for a fan one came within 10 minutes. Dirk is very friendly resposive and knowledgeable. The location is great within 10 minutes you can walk to a tram stop (#14) that takes you directly to the city centre. A quiet location but not to far at all. There were bikes we could rent and got help to size them. We definitly wouldn't hesitate to come back. Thank you Dirk and family.
May 2017, Nova Scotia Canada, Heather and Shelly
* Our stay in Above Water was amazing: Thank you Dirk and wonderful family for being so welcoming. From the moment we arrived we had the warmest welcome; telling us where to go and the more upcoming parts of Amsterdam. Ask Dirk anything about this beautiful city and he will know. Breakfast is delicious and filling. Fresh bread, yum yum. So sad to be leaving and can't wait to come back!
May 2017, UK, Tom & Jade
* We loved our stay at Above Water. We needed a holliday and that's what we just got. Amazing restaurants with great food. Relaxing bicyclerides just around the corner. Loved waking up to see ducks outside our window, and get the best breakfast in town from Dirk & family. Thank you so much for a perfect stay!! We will come back again!May 2017, Norway, Marte & Øijvind
* Our stay at Above water was amazing. Thank you Dirk and your wonderful family for beeing so welcome. From the moment we arrived we had the warmest welcome. Telling us where to go and the more upcoming parts of Amsterdam. Ask Dirk anything about this beautiful city and he will know. Breakfast with fresh bread is delicious and filling. Yum yum. Dirk even got me little bit of cake for my birthday. So sad to be leaving and can't wait to come back.
May 2017, UK, Tom & Jade
* Being Dirk's guest was a very plesant experience. His recommandations were valuable and much appreciated. Rent his bikes; it's the best way to experience Amsterdam. Resume of our highlights: Stedelijk Museum, Bike in the polder to "Het Schoolhuis", diner at Wilde Zwijnen, the area around Mediamatic and the Foodhallen.
May 2017, Berlin Germany, Sophie & Jan
* We would like to thank Dirk and his family for the warmest welcome. We fell instantly in love with the city, it's people and the culture. It might just be our favourite city in the world and we can't wait to come back. Don't hesitate to ask Dirk about everything going on in Amsterdam, he knows all the hidden gems. We will spread the good word from Above Water everywhere! Thank you, merci, dank je!
May 2017, Montreal Canada, Stephane & Sophie
* Three days at Amsterdam. It's easy to arrive at Above Water and it's really funny to stay here and discover a houseboat. A very nice place with beautiful coloring and 'decoration'. Dirk is nice and he helped us. We are happy to have found this location. We went three days with the bikes: the Old Town, the Museum Quarter, Vondelpark, Jordaan, Eye Film Museum (with the ferry) and have seen green birds! We liked the food a lot. Thank you for all Dirk.
April 2017, France, Sandra & Victor
We've had a fantastic time at Above Water. What a warm welcome from Dirk! We were given help where to eat (a fantastic Indonesian place) and hiring the bikes was great fun. On our last day Dirk showed us places we could cycle out to away from the centre. It was great fun and nice to see the more traditional side of the Netherlands. We don't want to go home!
April 2017, UK, Emily + Mick
* Our stay in Above Water was perfect! Lovely time in this incredible city and the family looked after us in every single detail. The bikes provided by Dirk made us enjoy every single part of Amsterdam. If you have the choise - don't miss Van Gogh museum - we loved more than expected.
April 2017, Spain, Aida & Alfonso
* Above Water feels like at home! A plesant stay on the Dutch chanels with a friendly atmosphere. Dirk helped us with everything. A cute landlord! Good breakfast (milk, eggs, croissants, fresh bread and yogurt) and all comfort at Above water. The connection to the centre is easy by bus or bike. The area is quiet and not touristic. Only a little problem for us, no daily towel change.
April 2017, Italy, Valerio and Lucia
* Have had a wonderful time, loved Amsterdam more than I expected, friendly people and we've been lucky to have some beautiful weather. Lovely, comfortable stay, brilliant breakfast, thank you kind for being such a wonderfull host. We'll definatily come back again.
March 2017, Kent England, Jan & Graham
* Our stay at Above Water was simply perfect! Dirk & his family are really great nice people. Always here to help!;-) Dirk's breakfast is good and we really enjoyed his scrambled eggs! The house is very cosy and clean. We appreciated a lot the calm and serenity of the location. That allowed us to get some real rest! Thanks for the warm welcome & your help. We really enjoyed our stay and would love to come back. Dirk shares his best tips to discover the city; don't hasitate to ask!
March 2017, Toulouse France, Martin & Catherine
* We had a warm welcome from Dirk when we arrived. He showed us Above Water and we loved this cosy little home immediately! The bed is definately worth to mention- what a confortable nights sleep. I'm sure you'll agree. Not only that but we also loved the neighbourhood. Dirk recommended lots of nice places in the neighbourhood such as the Jenever distillery and bar in the park. Breakfast was ample and if you get the opportunity try Dirk's scrambled eggs! Dirk helped up with OV cards for public transport. Transport links are very good from Above Water and go to most areas of the city centre. We hope you enjoy your stay as much as we have!
March 2017, England. Paula & Jerry
* Our stay at Above water was extremely nice! Our host was very kind and caring and tried to satisfy all of our needs. We appreciated this very much and if we come back to this city we would most definetily stay here again. And I forget, the scambled eggs the host made us for breakfast were delicous!
March 2017, Italy, Sohia & Matteo
* We came to Amsterdam "only" for a weekend. The most of the time the weather wasn't the best, so we couldn't rent the bikes. I strongly recomend you do because your more independent and see much more from the city. Dirk is very nice and helpfull person. He prepared breakfast for us and recomended so many good places to eat and to visit! We had a perfect time and for sure will come back.
Februari 2017, Prague CZE, Sabina & John
* For more than a week we slept en stayed in Above Water. What a nice place to stay! It has a good atmosphere and the host Dirk is very friendly and serves good breakfast.
We liked discovering the upcoming neighbourhood ‘Indische Buurt’ a lot. More off the beaten track and not as touristic as the City centre. We travelled easily by bike and bus to all the museums.
Februari 2017, Lyon France, Suzanne and Daniel
* We only had three beautiful days here in Amsterdam, but we used the time really well. The studio by the houseboat was the best option to sleep. The connection to the Centre is one of the best; 12 minutes to the Central Station by bus. Dirk the owner is a nice, awesome and helpful person. The breakfast is great! The whole place is a dream.
Marvin and Claudia, Austria, January 2017
* Our stay at Above Water was utterly delightful! All of our needs were met and exceeded. Our hosts opened up not only their guesthouse but also their home. We were treated as honoured guests rather than customers. I would wholeheartedly recommend listening to their suggestions on places to eat, shop and tour. They are extremely knowledgeable about the area and have great insight into places to go. If you have a chance, ask for the scrambled eggs. They're delicious! We came as guests and are leaving as friends.
2 jan. 2017 Kathleen and David Thomas, U.SA.